Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I can't stop myself, it's a new religion

OK, it wasn't that long ago that the first day of winter really bummed me out. I mean, I'm becoming a sun bunny the older I get, and I really don't relish this idea of being cooped up in the house for the next few months. Especially since this promises to be a cold one*; we've had numerous days below freezing already this year.

But I'm starting to realize that the presence of the sun is an important thing even if there's not much heat to go along with it. And for six months now, I've watched the sun hang around less and less... so today I'm starting to understand why those pagan folks danced around Stonehenge and offered up those animal sacrifices. Or whatever they did. I mean, I was starting to look for a goat to sacrifice myself.

So, all hail the arrival of the new sun god, who was born of the goddess as knocked up by the old sun god. Which is different from the arrival of the new son of God, who was born of a saint who was impregnated by the old God. Sort of.

Whatever. Have some wassail.

*No, not .

1 Comments:

  • Somehow, it just doesn't seem nice to say Mary was "impregnated." I mean, is it wrong that in church the other day, when they read the part about the Holy Spirit "descending" on her, I thought--"that's happened to me. . .it was followed by a resounding, 'get off me, you drunk slug!'" It just. . .doesn't sound NICE or LOVING to say someone "descended"! I choose not to think of the ACTUAL conception of the Son of God (OR the illegitimate sun god). But that's just me.

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home