Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Just For Me(n)

You know, I probably ought to be offended. Anybody else would be. And if she hadn't tried to be nice and efficient, I probably would never have noticed. But Barbara the Publix cashier was apparently in a holiday mood, and when she rang me up, she made a point of telling me that I saved $1.39 today.

That's very nice, I think, looking at my receipt. I wonder how I did that?

Senior 5% discount $1.73-

The kicker? She wasn't even referring to the senior discount she gave me. I saved 50 cents on stuffing and 89 cents on a turkey breast.

Now I have no idea how Publix figures membership in the senior club, but at 37 years old, I hardly think I qualify. If the requirement is supposed to be 65, then Barbara has missed my age by nearly 30 years. That's a new record, even for me.

3 Comments:

  • Now Ben,

    If you recall, SEVERAL years back there were 10 of us dining at some crappy chain in some city (maybe Asheville). You and one other member of our group received Senior discounts. The fun part there was there were 8 others older than you and not one of them received the discount. You don't look old, you look distinguished.
    Back to the slave pit here at large unnamed financial institution...sigh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM  

  • Thanks for the attempted cheer-up, MDHL, but I look old. And you're right: depending on how that particular chain-o-crap figures their senior citizens, that occasion may well have been my personal record. But at least then I could pretend that she meant the discount for someone else.

    By Blogger Ben, at 5:37 PM  

  • And must I remind you of the day Janet bought a bottle of color: she was 34 and someone mistook her for Matt's grandmother? Come to think of it, haven't you been mistaken for Matt's father?

    Just For Men: there's your answer!I intend to lay in my casket with pretty brown hair.

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home