Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Monday, November 21, 2005

I feel vindicated

Last night at dinner, I made the horrible mistake of saying Liar! Give me back my shoes! to a group of people who had no idea what I was talking about. I ‘splained that the quote came from some old music video, but apparently I was the only person there who watched MTV in the mid-80s.

I feel better now. The song was This Note’s For You by Neil Young, and the scene in question parodied an old Calvin Klein Obsession ad.

BTW, the line was spoken by a woman in response to a pretty boy claiming Forgive me, but I’m prettier than all of you. Does anybody know if that woman was Justine Bateman?

1 Comments:

  • I remember THAT! Of course, coming from the same mid-80s environment, we share most all pop cultures references from that era. I don't know if it was Justine Bateman though.

    But I would've totally gotten your reference. There's a rather funny old SNL spoof of a Calvin Klein commercial also, with a golden retriever (second reference of the day!) and a cologne called "Canis". And a golden retriever humping a pretty boy's leg in a very sexual, comical way. In fact, I thought "give me back my shoes" came from an SNL spoof of said Calvin Klein commercial also. . .

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home