Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Thursday, November 17, 2005

What do you want me to be?

My department is moving to a new location next week, which means that this week we’re cleaning out many years' worth of junk from our cubes. I spent the better part of my morning going through maybe 15 reams of old papers and removing old staples, binder clips, and paper clips. Just before lunch, a co-worker stopped by my desk and started laughing because I had divided my organizational accessories into the several distinct piles:

Hanging file folders
Great big binder clips (GBBCs)
Medium binder clips
Small binder clips
Itty bitty binder clips (IBBCs)
Standard paper clips
Giant paper clips
Staples and regular file folders were in the trash.

For some bizarre reason, I’ve got an incurable need to organize only certain parts of my life. (Case in point: my house at this moment is the proverbial train-wreck.) This trait was first brought to my attention years ago when I was playing CDs for a friend. He noticed that I carefully put each CD back in its case and spun it around so that the design was upright while we were talking and without looking at the CD. He started pulling CDs at random off my shelf and checking them. All of them were upright in their cases except one. It was perfectly upside-down.

Of all the things to obsess about, why couldn’t it be something that makes me money?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home