Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Cross-posting for fun and profit

I just posted this on the Small Bidness forums at about.com. Normally I wouldn't just copy and paste it here, but since I'm looking for a solution, and the only person I'm cross-posting is myself... away we go!
We own a small business with 6 to 8 employees at any time. We also own the building where we are located, a 15,000 square-foot warehouse at the end of a short industrial cul-de-sac. In addition to our business, we also use the building to house a few collector cars that we own, and we store a 20-foot trailer (which we use for business and to tow our cars to shows) in the parking lot.

In April, someone broke into our trailer and stole a 1965 Chevrolet that we were preparing to take to a show. (It was recovered a few weeks later.) Since then, we’ve left the trailer unlocked and we don’t store anything else on it, but I’ve found the doors and latches opened several times. We’ve always used a “Gorilla-Guard” style trailer hitch lock, and we’ve started backing the trailer up against a security light pole, but somebody’s still plundering.

It seems we need a video security system, but I’d like to get the best value I can. I’m thinking about the following things:

1. a camera mounted inside the building to watch the entire parking lot
2. a second, outdoor camera (wireless?) mounted on the security pole so we can get the tag numbers of any cars that leave our lot.
3. A video recorder with a long recording loop, so that if someone breaks in on Friday evening, and I don’t find it ‘til Monday morning, we still have a chance of finding them.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of trouble? Any pointers or suggestions on where to find such a system?

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home