Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

My two cents worth

There's a restaurant near my house that has a wall-hanging* displaying a sheet of postage stamps that were released for the 1996 Olympics** in Atlanta. 10 years ago, a first-class stamp was 32 cents. In ten years, that cost has gone up nearly 22 percent.

I've got a letter in my car that needs to be mailed. It's a bill, actually, for my DirecTV service. I put a 37-cent*** stamp on it and didn't get it in the mail by Sunday, so now I have to acquire one of those elusive 2-cent stamps.

Monday morning, I stop by the post office on my way to work. The "postal store" is closed. The automated stamp dispenser is sold out of 2-cent stamps. The over-engineered postal meter machine computer thing won't deal with postage below $1.00. Can't be bothered. Yes, I'm serious.

Today at lunch I try again, at a USPS distribution facility near my office. Their automat doesn't even have 2-cent stamps. And their "postal store" is backed up with a dozen disgruntled customers watching dead lice drop off of the "postal consultants."

When are those people finally gonna go out of business?

*Well, you can't really call it art.
**Yes, I said it... the "O" word. Sue me too.
***And where exactly did the cent symbol get to on modern computer keyboards? Was this some government plot to force us into accepting inflation or something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home