Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Monday, January 09, 2006

Thinning the herd

So a few weeks ago we realized that we’ve got, like, a billion cars in the stable, even though our household only contains four critters – and two of those don’t drive real well. That’s because while we’ve mastered the skill of acquiring cars for the collection, we haven’t yet learned how to let go. So we decided to sell a car or two in an effort to free up some space and also some cash flow. Maybe we’ll retire some debt. Maybe we’ll start working toward building the bigass garage that we want.

Our goal for the new year was to put three cars up for sale and see which one goes first:
  • My daily driver (2000 BMW 740i sport). Because I can drive a much cheaper car to work every day.

  • Hubby’s daily driver (2006 Lexus GS300, aka Charlie McGee). Because he’s been hanging around Chris too long, and this is to be expected, I guess. Oh, and because he can drive a much cheaper car to work every day, too.

  • Fiver (a 1998 BMW 535i). Because I don’t know why. I mean, it’s a cool car.
So that was the plan, except that Hubby’s still painting Fiver. (I think this is a fully conscious attempt to keep from selling that car.)

So last Wednesday, we listed the two newer cars on Autotrader. And guess who got a nibble.

Yup. Some guy looked at my car on Saturday, and he seems to be very interested. I’m taking the car to his mechanic today for the full exam.

So what do we do now that the sale of my car seem imminent? Drive the older BMW? Drive the Triumph? Drive Hubby’s truck?

Nope. Go car shopping, of course.

So we trooped through several used car lots in the area to find a less expensive replacement. And of all the places we stopped, exactly one car really, truly appealed to my redneck heritage. And I think it surprised Hubby.


Available in two colors: Top Banana (shown) or the cleverly named Go ManGo!.

1 Comments:

  • Actually, I'm not kidding. The standard Charger package is sort of meh, but I just lurvs me those black accents. *g*

    By Blogger Ben, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home