Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

Well, it's 10:07 on Christmas morning, and hubby's still in bed. We cooked Christmas Eve dinner for 10 people last night, and didn't get in bed until sometime after 2:00. That's OK, though. We had a wonderful time, and I hope our friends did too.

Last weekend, we had our big "Christmas Party." That's the one that involves a caterer and a bartender* and 50 or so people. It's fun too -- but it's a lot of work, and I've bitched about it for years. I thought maybe I was becoming antisocial. (Join me later this morning for services in the church of I Hate Everybody.) This year it occurred to me: it's not that I dislike these folks. I genuinely like all of them, or they wouldn't be in my house. No, my problem is that I don't want them all in my house at the same time. Or rather, I don't want to be responsible for entertaining them all at the same time.

Years ago, our Christmas parties looked a lot like last night: sit-down dinner prepared by us for a small group of our close friends. It's a lot less formal**, but a lot more fun. At 2:00 this morning, as we were getting in to bed, hubby said that he felt like he'd done Christmas for the first time in years. Don't be surprised if the big party gets scaled back a lot in the future.

And Merry Christmas to everybody. Go open your presents. :o)

*BTW, looks like I may have to supply my own next year. Anybody know a bartender who's GOOD (extra point if he's cute; jackpot if he's gay) and works parties in the Atlanta area? I'd really like good and cute, but first and foremost he's got to be good.
**Actually, from an entertaining standpoint, it's a lot more formal. But these friends got to peer behind the curtain while we erred our way through cooking dinner. And drinking. Heavily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home