Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Things were much better when Carol was at the spinet

Well, it must be Christmas. I finally heard Feliz Navidad on the radio... or rather, the Muzak at Wendy's. It amazes me what passes for good music anymore. I mean, I know there's only so much Christmas music to choose from, but some of this stuff is wretched. A couple of weeks ago, Publix was playing some abomination called Christmas in Killarney. Quite literally a Christmas jig in 6/8 time.

Just pour hot soup in my ears and get it over with.

I think I'm more insulated from the musical wasteland this year because traditional, rock-n-roll*, country, classical, and lame humor. (Think There's Something Stuck up in the Chimney or I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas.**) The first four aren't bad, but I'm particularly fond of the classical channel. Ladies and gentlemen, THAT is how Christmas should be done.

And I don't even have the credentials to be a real music snob.

*Do people still call it rock-n-roll, or am I showing my age?
**I've always wanted to write a medley called There's Something Stuck Up In The Hippopotamus, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

1 Comments:

  • It's Rock-N-Roll in this case. I've heard Elvis' "Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me" at least four times.

    Yes, that IS how Xmas should be done. Three words: Trans Siberian Orchestra. They rock my Christmas world.

    Not on a Classical note, but there is an absolutely ROCKIN' version of O Holy Night out there by Rebecca St. James. I like to think it's what Heaven would sound like, if it were a discotheque. I love the original version, but damn, that song is my shameless holiday pleasure.

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home