Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Looks like it works

When I imported all of my CDs into iTunes on my work PC, I set up a playlist called “Cheer Up Music.” Whenever I noticed that a song had the potential to seriously affect my mood in a positive way, I dragged its butt into this playlist. The theory here was that eventually I’d have a bad day and need something to cheer me up, so I may as well stash something away for those days. And then I mostly forgot about it.

Well, today has been my first seriously blue day in a long time (I binged on chocolate and now I'm regretting it), so I plug in my earbuds and give it a shot. For the record, it looks like this:
  • Morten Lauridsen: O Magnum Mysterium (recorded by the Robert Shaw Singers)
  • Babble: Tribe
  • Emilie Autumn: Across the Skies
  • Babble: The Stone
  • Manhattan Transfer: Soul Food to Go
  • Duran Duran: Hungry Like The Wolf
  • Yaz: Don’t Go
  • Enya: Book of Days
  • Manhattan Transfer: Shaker Song
  • Nine Inch Nails: Closer
  • Thompson Twins: You Take Me Up
  • Thompson Twins: The Gap
  • The Cars: Let’s Go
  • The Cars: Magic
  • Concrete Blond: Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)
  • DJ Bobo: Chihuahua
  • Duran Duran: The Reflex
  • K’s Choice: Believe
  • Wendy Carlos: March from A Clockwork Orange
  • Yaz: State Farm
  • The Cars: Hello Again
  • Culture Club: Time (Clock of the Heart)
  • Pink Floyd: The Great Gig In The Sky
  • Yaz: Situation
  • Yaz: Walk Away From Love

It’s a veritable cheesefest, and I love every minute of it. :o)

For the record, the first song in the rotation was The Reflex. I was better before the initial fade-in finished.

3 Comments:

  • a) Closer is a CHEER UP song? You are too twisted for color TV.

    b) Here's a trick: whenever you import songs, use your SMART PLAYLISTS; fill in your comments section with all types of descriptors: wake up 80s happy electronica new wave workout classical, whatever your list of "descriptors" is. I might have 15 descriptors for a song, or only 1: (e.g. Closer: Angst Music). Then, I tell my smart playlist to make a list of all 80s New Wave songs (with 80s or new wave in the comments). Or all "Angst" songs. Or all "Angst" songs by NIN. And it builds the playlists automatically--you can limit by number etc. I always "label" my songs right away (through the comments) so I can build playlists without having to build them manually. And then if you rate them, you can limit it by songs 3 stars or higher, or whatever, to only have the playlists build the very BEST songs.

    If you need to know ANYTHING about programs in the ilife suite, I'm your gal. Oh, and for more tips and tricks, go to smartplaylists.com. No, I don't work for Apple, but I should.

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 5:35 PM  

  • I figured somebody might wonder about some of those songs, but I honestly thought Bloodletting would come up first. And I've got a couple of smart playlists set up to drown out the loud people in my department so I can focus. But that's a lot of descriptors. I'd rather put my time into downloading album art. :o)

    Yeah, but I don't listen to music that much on the go, and I've got a functional iRiver if that ever changes. I'm cheap like that.

    By Blogger Ben, at 9:34 AM  

  • You don't have to describe EVERY song (i.e. be as anal retentive and unemployed as I was last year this time. . .oh, did I say that?): however, if you want to describe some of your favorit-er albums, songs, you can also select a whole album or batch of songs (shift-select) and then, THEN, hit the whatever-that-weird-apple-key-is-that-PCs-don't-have-that-looks-like-a-clover-I (for "info") and do a batch change to add the same comments to all the songs on an album. . . I just qualify my music as I download, so it automatically gets shuffled to the right place. . .and I don't deal with album art, so that explains all the extra time ;-)

    By Blogger Jax Peach, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home