Extraordinary Popular Delusions

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Red State Retreat

On Friday, we’re headed up to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, to spend a weekend with one of our car clubs: a group of Corvair enthusiasts called “Nader’s Raiders.” There’s no car show planned, just a weekend in the mountains. Dolly won’t be open this weekend, dammit, but if I see her, I’ll tell her you said hello.

Hubby’s parents (also Corvair owners) are going too. So on Monday, he tells me to decide whether we’re staying at the host hotel (a $68/night Holiday Inn) or in the hotel with his parents (who are saving a whopping $12/night at the independent Willow Brook Lodge across the street).

Folks, I might be a little slow sometimes, but even I know this is a no-win scenario.

So I check out their websites. Both look to be nice, spacious, clean, cheap for what you’re getting. Then I see it. There, on the banner for the Willow Brook Lodge, is a bible verse. 1 John 2:25. And this is the promise that he promosed us, even eternal life. Complete with misspelling and everything.

Now, I really try hard not to be a word snob, and this blog is riddled with misspellings. But they’re not in the banner for a business that I’m advertising. Besides, it’s not the misspelling that concerns me. It’s the bible verse that doesn’t really even offer any wisdom. I mean, if you have to put a bible verse on your site, try to pick one that says something more than, “Jesus is gonna kiss it and make it all better.”*

By the way, I also checked the Pigeon Forge chamber of commerce site to see what there is to do there. The big industry seems to be outlet shopping (good for boys who can’t fit into their fat clothes anymore), but there’s also another event taking place this weekend. Toby Dix and Be Real Ministries are gonna be having a "meltdown" at the Smoky Mountain Convention Center.

Hoo boy.

*Incidentally, when confronted with this information, Hubby picked the Holiday Inn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home